Thursday, November 09, 2006

Hi All! Welcome to my blog. This blog is all about books and reading. Which means it is going to be totally fabulous.

I have to read a lot for my job, but other than that my major reading project is making my way through a list of 100 books that I have to read before I die. I have just finished George Orwell's 1984. This is a riveting vision of the future that feels all too possible... I am currently pondering the question as to whether or not this text is ultimately optimistic or pessimistic about the human condition. It certainly argues that there are people out there who are capable of original thought even under circumstances that do not allow for any expressions of individuality, however the ending of the novel shows that these people will eventually be extinguished by those with the power to promote the sameness. It is that moment in the end that I find so chilling - where Winston realises he loves Big Brother, something he terms a "victory over himself".

I am now moving on to Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men. This is a real change for me as I have never had much of an interest in American literature of this canon. However, I am looking to increase my repertoire! After all, I learned to love Dickens, right Undervoice?

I will see if I can post attachments so that you can all share in my list. It isn't full yet, so I am still looking for more titles. What are the books you think a person really must read?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, what books a person really must read.....
You only have 100 books on your list? Is that the same list as on the wall in the glovebox?
anyway, back to it. You really must read some William Gibson, yes, I know that Pattern Recognition was offputting, but trust me Neuromancer is awesome. Jeff Noon is also worth looking at, especially Automated Alice. Anything by Gregory Maguire is great too. He plays around with modern interpretations, the poor wicked witch was misunderstood, you get the picture.
I know you've read lots of the classics, so I'll not recommend them. Oh, Italo Calvino, good stuff. Hmmm, I'll go away and have a think.
Cheers
Undervoice

8:07 PM  
Blogger welloflostplots said...

Thanks Fabulois - I know, it is truly a act of supreme sacrifice to only have 100 books on the list, but once that is finished, i can always add another hundred!

It is definitely not the same list that was on the wall of the glovebox - firstly, that was far too mainstream and secondly I had read most of them anyway! These are books of my choosing, but as you can see, I love getting recommendations!

11:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, now I know that you're busy reading, but this is ridiculous! Anyone would think you had a busy job! come on girl, what are you doing with your time? Oh and btw, just before you SCREAM at me I am now officially a lazyblogger myself. I have not posted for ages. Check it out and see what a boring blogger I am....
anyway, that's enough of the windup. What have you been reading lately? I'm re-reading Longest Memory (again) for year 11 and I'm also re-reading Baghdad Blog for year 12. does re-reading count in your book count? I'm reading a Jostein Gaarder book at the moment, but I forgot the title. It's about a man who can't write whole books but sells plots for a living. I'll keep you posted.

6:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home