Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Long-awaited Reconciliation

No, that title clearly does not have anything to do with John Howard.

It refers instead to my reconcilaition with my blog - oh poor forgotten blog who I had been spending so little time with recently. I figured out it had been nearly two months since my last post. Thank God it has not been so long since my last book (Hi, my name's Welloflostplots, and I'm a bookaholic)!

Okay, the boring stuff first. Reading lots for work. Maestro by Peter Goldsworthy was not too bad - your typical school text, but one fo the better ones. I would not recommend it for serious readers following this blog (where are you all), but in terms of school text selection, yeah not bad. Finding it impossible and distasteful getting into Malouf's Fly Away Peter (oh yes, the bird reference there is real) and on a completely separate topic, tried Paulina Simmons' Girl in Times Square, which is admittedly light reading but recommended by a friend for relaxation purposes. Unfortunately it is so long and depressing, I didn't bother to finish it. Sorry friend! I do like a recommendation.

I did get into Enduring Love by Ian McEwan. The bonus of this was that it was a list book, and also one that I had to read for work. The subject matter was not my favourite, but his writing is simply beautiful. It's about a man who is stalked with religious zeal by another man, who feels their meeting at the scene of a ballooning accident was "destiny". It gets a bit scary in a reasonably typical fashion, but the writing impressed me so much that I added more McEwan to the list (updated, check it out).

Anyway, reading something truly unusual and fabulous right now, both a recommendation and off the list, so there you go. But got to keep you in suspense if I am planning on writing more often...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home