Thursday, September 25, 2008

American Gods

This book was a recommendation from my “book brother”, and also reinforced by a friend. Thus, there was a high set of expectations that accompanied my reading. And as in most of these cases, I could not help but be somewhat disappointed.

The premise of American Gods is that all the gods of all the cultures around the world, old (Odin, Thor, Easter) and new (the Internet, the Media etc) are alive and well and fighting for supremacy (and worship) in modern day America. Of course – America is the centre o

Shadow is our main protagonist – an outsider just released from jail whose initiation into this strange world allows us to enter it too. Shadow’s wife has just died in a car accident – so he has no strings attaching him to the “normal” world.

It is a somewhat intriguing story that will keep you guessing. But not entirely my cup of tea. Took me ages to read too, which is usually the sign that a book hasn’t really gotten under my skin. It was not bad though –I am glad I read it and did enjoy it. It just wont become one of my favourites.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home