Monday, October 13, 2008

The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly

The Diving Bell represents the huge pressure on his chest - and the butterfly is the freedom if his mind...

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was written by Jean-Dominique Bauby, a man with locked in syndrome. After a stroke Bauby was left paralysed except for one eye, and through a system of blinks he dictated this story.

There is no doubting that Bauby is an amazing man, who is better able to deal with his condition than I could ever imagine I would. His prose is suprisingly beautiful, although it jumps around quite a bit as Bauby striggles to come to terms with his memories and his new life.

I am glad I read it, although the book had no power over me, no compulsion to make me keep reading. It was interesting though - plus I had to read it for book club. No more non-fiction for a while now though, okay?

Back to a favourite now - Murakami calls and I will blog again soon.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home