Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Anansi Boys


I apologise for the length of time between entries. Strangely enough, I have not been in the reading mood. Or, more accurately, I have been too tired and busy to read for pleasure. In fact, this one is cheating - I listened to it on CD. It did make a lovely relaxing addition to my weekend though!

I wasn’t that impressed with the only other Neil Gaiman I read, finding American Gods over-rated. But I picked this up from the library and thought I might give it a go. I’m glad I did. Anansi Boys is a lot more fun than American Gods.

The two books share a lot of similarities, and it is clear that Gaiman loves to put old Gods in new world contexts. This time, the God is Anansi – the spider God inextricably bound with storytelling. “All the stories are Anansi’s”- and he usually ends up on top. With a few laughs, at someone else’s expense.

This novel is about Anansi’s sons, who are trying to come to terms with both their human and divine heritage. I enjoyed it much more and found it lighter than American Gods. It was a good weekend read. Worth a look.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home